The mission of the American Civil Liberties Union of New Mexico is to maintain and advance the cause of civil liberties, civil rights and constitutional freedom in the state.
We act to further our mission without consideration of political partisanship.
In particular, we work to preserve the following protections and guarantees for New Mexico residents:
- Your First Amendment rights, including the right to free speech; the right to join with others to form an organization or to gather to protest; freedom of the press—the media’s right to report on any topic, including criticizing the government; the right to freely practice any religion or no religion at all; and the right to be free from the government imposing any religious beliefs upon you.
- Your right to equal protection under the law, which means a right to equal treatment regardless of your race, sex, religion, sexual orientation, disability or national origin.
- Your right to due process—fair treatment by law enforcement and the courts.
- Your right to privacy—freedom from illegal and unnecessary government intrusion into your personal and private affairs.
ACLU-NM also works to extend rights to segments of our population that have traditionally been denied their rights, including Native Americans and other people of color; lesbians, gay men, bisexuals and transgender people; women; people living with mental illness; incarcerated people; people with disabilities; people experiencing homelessness; immigrants; and the poor.
Our vision is of a state where all citizens enjoy equal rights and freedoms regardless of their race, ethnicity, or sexual orientation; where people can express themselves freely through their words and actions; and where the personal safety and legal rights of everyone are clearly respected in all circumstances.
The values that guide our legal, legislative and public education work are:
- Faithfulness to the constitution
- Independent thought
- Fairness and integrity
- Taking principled stands
- Speaking truth to power
- Defending the most vulnerable in society