On May 25, 2021 we hosted a special event featuring speakers from the ACLU and partner organizations to discuss how we can chart a more humane path forward on border policy.
The United States should be a beacon of hope for people seeking freedom, safety, and protection from persecution. Everyone – including immigrants – deserves due process.
During his campaign, President Biden promised to reverse Trump’s cruel asylum policies and to adopt a fairer and more humane approach. And while he has taken some steps to do that, he has not done enough. Earlier this year, the Biden administration elected to extend Title 42 -- a Trump-era policy that exploits a global pandemic to allow the summary expulsion of asylum seekers, denying them any opportunity to make their case for staying in the country before an immigration judge.
This special event features speakers from the ACLU and partners who discuss critical issues facing immigrants, including Title 42, and how we can chart a more humane path forward. Speakers include:
- Lee Gelernt, Deputy Director, ACLU Immigrant Rights’ Project and lead counsel on the ACLU’s family separation suit
- Nayomi Valdez, ACLU-NM Policy Director
- Zoila Alvarez Hernandez, ACLU-NM Staff Attorney
- Imelda Maynard, Immigration Attorney
- Nayeli Saenz, Assistance Manager - Immigrant Advocacy Center and Refugee Shelter