The American Civil Liberties Union of New Mexico (ACLU-NM) seeks a full-time legal assistant to conduct administrative tasks in our legal department and support our immigrants’ rights docket.
This is an exciting time to work for the ACLU. The ACLU-NM is doing its part in the nationwide struggle to defend the Constitution while working to protect and advance civil rights and liberties in New Mexico. Recently, the organization launched key initiatives to reduce mass incarceration, support refugees and asylum seekers, protect immigrants from harsh deportation policies, and strengthen women’s access to reproductive health care.
Founded in 1962, the ACLU-NM is an affiliate of the national ACLU. The ACLU-NM has offices in Albuquerque and Las Cruces and a staff of 18 people. It has 13,000 members across the state and an annual budget of $2 million. To learn more about the work of the ACLU-NM please visit www.aclu-nm.org and www.aclu.org.
Under the direction of the Legal Director, the Legal Assistant provides administrative, clerical and research support for one paralegal and five attorneys who work on civil rights cases in state and federal courts in New Mexico. The Legal Assistant also serves as a liaison with other attorneys, court personnel, and clients.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Write and submit public records requests; review and evaluate public records to support advocacy and develop litigation.
- Provide organizing support to set up and oversee community and volunteer meetings, trainings and events, both inside and outside of the office.
- Maintain attorney calendars, schedule appointments and make travel arrangements.
- Provide support in the filing, review and organization of litigation documents, including briefs, motions, declarations, discovery, and correspondence.
- Manage the intake database and work with volunteers to send response letters.
- Draft correspondence, declarations, and various court/legal documents such as requests, notices, and orders.
- Maintain primarily electronic case files including pleadings, correspondence, discovery and other materials. Service of summonses and subpoenas.
- Provide general administrative support to the Attorneys and Paralegals as needed.
- Track jail, detention center, and prison conditions in New Mexico from information gathered from inmate complaints. Schedule phone calls with inmates and detainees.
- Respond to phone calls from clients, prospective clients, community partners, and members of community.
- Handle special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Well organized, efficient, highly motivated, and can handle multiple tasks simultaneously and see them through to completion; work well under tight deadlines, and take initiative.
- Strong written and oral communication skills; strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as within a team while maintaining a high level of efficiency and professionalism.
- Bilingual Spanish ability required (both written and spoken).
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Excellent typing and proofing skills.
- Able to work occasional evenings and weekends with advance notice.
The ideal candidate is:
- Personally committed to antiracism, immigrants’ rights; and advancing the ACLU’s values, mission, goals and programs.
- A flexible, reliable, creative, and self-motivated person who can handle and prioritize multiple activities and responsibilities.
- A team player who collaborates well with staff members.
- Emotionally mature and self-confident, with a sense of humor in order to maintain balance and perspective.
- Committed to producing high-quality legal work.
Compensation and Benefits:
Compensation is based on experience and ACLU of NM compensations structure. Excellent benefits include paid vacation, medical and dental insurance, 401k plan, life and long-term disability insurance, and generous paid holidays.
TO APPLY: Send cover letter, with salary requirements, resume, and names and contact information of three professional references, to HR@ACLU-NM.org . Please include your last name and “Legal Assistant” in the subject line, and indicate in your cover letter where you found this job listing. No phone calls, please.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled but preference will be given to applications received by December 2, 2018. The ACLU of New Mexico is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU of New Mexico encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to arrest or conviction, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status.