The American Civil Liberties Union of New Mexico (ACLU of New Mexico) seeks a dynamic and innovative team player to fill the position of Digital Media Associate. This full-time, exempt position will primarily coordinate digital communications in support of the ACLU of New Mexico’s communications, policy, advocacy, legal and development departments. The position is based in Albuquerque and reports to the ACLU of New Mexico’s Director of Communications.
The ACLU of New Mexico is doing its part in the nationwide struggle to defend the Constitution while working to protect and advance civil rights and liberties in New Mexico. The organization is currently managing key initiatives to reduce mass incarceration, support Muslim refugees, protect immigrants from harsh deportation policies, reform the Albuquerque Police Department, and strengthen women’s access to reproductive health care.
Founded in 1962, the ACLU of New Mexico is an affiliate of the national ACLU. The ACLU of New Mexico has offices in Albuquerque and Las Cruces and a staff of 18 people. It has 13,000 members across the state and an annual budget of $2 million. To learn more about the work of the ACLU New Mexico please visit www.aclu-nm.org and www.aclu.org.
Under the direction and supervision of the Director of Communications, the Digital Media Associate will collaborate with the ACLU of New Mexico’s communications, policy, advocacy, legal and development staff to craft digital media and communications products that advance the overall mission and specific program priorities.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Collaborate with our team of organizers, policy advocates, legal experts and communicators to seamlessly integrate digital media into the ACLU of New Mexico’s strategic mission.
- Tell powerful stories about the ACLU’s work through new design concepts, graphics and layouts.
- Build an online community of activists across the ACLU of New Mexico’s social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, etc.), increasing the organization’s reach and strategically engaging supporters in advocacy.
- Mobilize our list of 29,000 supporters statewide by producing email alerts and other email marketing materials that inspire action and create change.
- Provide communications support for trainings and other community events, including developing supporting materials and outreach plans to ensure strong turn-out.
- Manage the ACLU of New Mexico’s website and other web projects.
- Build and maintain internal communications avenues that help ACLU of New Mexico staff across all departments stay informed and aligned.
- Monitor the news cycle and use digital media tools to amplify stories that are key to the ACLU’s strategic priorities.
- Implement joint communications strategies with partner organizations.
- Other responsibilities and activities as assigned.
The Digital Media Associate should possess the following experience and personal attributes:
- An effective team player who works collaboratively and shares responsibility and credit.
- A strong visual storyteller with a portfolio of memorable and engaging work.
- Design skills with expertise in Adobe Creative Suite, including InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop.
- Ability to manage multiple social media platforms using a clear and compelling organizational voice.
- A punchy and engaging writer who can communicate complex ideas clearly and concisely.
- Organized with proven ability to meet tight deadlines, handle multiple ongoing projects, and manage resources effectively
- A self-starter who proactively identifies and meets needs throughout the organization.
- A strong commitment to civil liberties and social justice.
- A commitment to diversity; values and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance.
- Willingness to work occasional overtime or irregular hours, including some weekends.
- Willingness to travel within the state and a current driver’s license.
- Professional experience in graphic design and/or online advocacy, preferably with an advocacy-oriented non-profit organization.
- Experience managing social media presence for an organization, company or brand.
- Experience with email marketing and online advocacy systems such as Convio, ExactTarget, Salesforce, Constant Contact, CapWiz, Strongview, etc.
- Experience in photography and/or videography, including experience in lighting indoor shoots.
- Established relationships within the New Mexico non-profit, advocacy, and political communities.
- Spanish language proficiency.
- Ability to use data and testing to create more effective communications and advocacy work.
- Experience using HTML/CSS.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Compensation based on experience. Excellent benefits include paid vacation, medical and dental insurance, 401k plan, life and long-term disability insurance, and generous paid holidays.
Send a resume and a cover letter, including salary requirements, a writing sample, and portfolio/design sample to: email@example.com or to Digital Media Associate Search, PO Box 566, Albuquerque, NM 87103. Applications will be accepted until position is filled, but preference will be given to applications received by June 15. Please indicate in your cover letter where you found this job listing.
ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.