CONTACT: William Hudson
HC 71 Box 765
San Lorenzo, NM 88041
(575) 536 3092
SILVER CITY, NM – The Southwestern Chapter of the ACLU of New Mexico is sponsoring a singer/songwriter competition, in connection with its Annual Meeting, to be held on October 26, 2012. Due to continuing attempts to suppress the legitimate right of American Citizens to vote; we are looking for songs that deal with voting rights issues. The focus can be on the historic efforts to obtain voting rights by women or minority populations; or the loss of the ability to vote due to oppressive legislation.
- This competition is open to all musicians in the “Border Regions” of West Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona, who write and perform in any musical genre. The prize will be a 4 hour recording session, provided by our co-sponsor, Mountain Air Productions. Mountain Air Productions is a state-of-the-art, digital recording studio and production house, located in the performance space of Seedboat Gallery, in Silver City, New Mexico. All submissions must be original compositions of the Artist/Performer (maximum of 2 entries per Artist/Performer)
- Entry will be made on an official entry form (contact William Hudson, at [email protected]).
- Entrants will submit a tape or CD recording of their entry (It need not be a professional recording, but should be clean enough that the listener can hear the melody and musical interpretation).
- Entrants will submit a written copy of the lyrics (so that the appropriate theme and poetic quality can be evaluated).
All entries must be mailed to: ACLU/Competition
C/o Peter Falley
521 E. Lance Dr.
Silver City, NM 88061
Entries will be evaluated by the judging panel on;
- How appropriate the song is relative to the theme (The importance of voting, Civil Liberties/Constitutionality, as it relates to voting rights)
- Artistic lyrical styling, poetic interpretation
- Musical originality, styling
All entries must arrive no later than September 14, 2012. Finalists will be notified no later than September 28, 2012. Finalists need to be present at The Annual Meeting of the ACLU of New Mexico, Southwestern Chapter, in Silver City, NM, on Friday October 26, 2012. On that evening, the finalists will perform their entry live for our audience and judges for final selection of the winner.